This page shows details of all the venues being used for Sheppey Promenade Festival 2018:
Abbey Gatehouse – Union Road, Minster-On-Sea, Sheerness. Kent ME12 2HW
The Gatehouse Museum originally part of Minster Abbey is a fascinating place. The timeline traces the Isle of Sheppey’s history from prehistoric times to modern day, see the fossils or the extensive 20 century history collection. Something for everyone. Click here for website.
Aviation Room, Standford Hill, Eastchurch. ME12 4DZ – offering an exhibition all week about
This interesting museum, now in its third year, is dedicated to Eastchurch’s part in aviation history. This was where the Shorts Brothers tested their first aircraft. The Wright Brothers visited here in 1909 and Winston Churchill learnt to fly here. The aviation room is full of interesting exhibits telling the story of the cradle of British aviation.
Blue Town Heritage Centre
Jenny Hurkett runs this fantastic venue with her band of loyal volunteers. Come and see the recreated music hall and the recreation of the gun deck of one of Nelson’s ships complete with cannon and surgeons bay. Come and have a Cream tea and look at the historical artefacts on display or research local history by arranging to look at the archives. There are a wide variety of films and shows put on during the year. Have a look at the website for details: Click here for website
Castle Connections is a community and art centre which offers a wide range of services including dance classes and fitness classes (Just Jhoom – indian dancing), exhibitions, art classes a recording studio and a cafe as well as having space for hire for private events.
Click here for Castle Connections website
The Parish church was built C13 with additions C14 , south aisle c. 1504, restored 1874, south porch added 1893. Rubble and plain tiled roof, with flint and rubble tower with shingle roof. Nave and chancel, There are lots of interesting things to see – door of c. 1504, water stoup
by south door, piscina in chancel and cusped piscina in south aisle. Wooden screen in south aisle, 3 bays with Perpendicular tracery and door in left bay, finely moulded with attached shafts for (missing) statues. Brasses: on large stone slab in south west corner, to Symon Snelling d. 1467 and wife Jokuosa (Joyce). Glass: south-east window, c. 1504 crucifixion scene, repaired 1840. Royal Coat of Arms: George III, on the west wall.
Leisure Centre Gardens
The UK Paper Band have played the Promenade festival for three consecutive years. Come and see them play marches, Beatles tunes and a wide variety of other music on the sea front. Bring a blanket or fold up chairs, bring a picnic if you like. Come and listen for a little while or come and listen to the whole show.
Rose Street Cottage of Curiosities, 10 Rose Street, Sheerness. Isle of Sheppey
Kent ME12 1AJ
Rose Street Cottage was built in about 1830, maybe earlier by dockyard workers using wood which they were allowed to take from the dockyard. At various times it has been a bakery, a furniture dealers shop and a fish and chip shop. It has been a heritage centre since 1989 and in 2015 was taken over by Sheppey Promenade to continue to champion the arts and local history on Sheppey. We are putting on different art or local history exhibitions – see website for details and offering teas and cakes in this unique location. The rooms are being kept as they might have been in Victorian times. Click here for Rose Street Cottage of Curiosities website
St Thomas Church, Harty
The church of ‘St. Thomas the Apostle’ is grade 2 listed. Thought to be of Saxon origin but improved by the Normans in 1089. This lovely church – one of the most remote churches in Kent – has no electricity or running water. It relies on paraffin lamps for lighting.
Sheerness High Street
Street Market and Parade on the theme of Flight in the High Street. Fantastical costumes and constructions and street performers. Family-friendly Saturday Workshops at Rose St Cottage of Curiosities, Saturdays 12 May, 26 May and Tuesdays 15 May, 22 May and 29 May to make hats and banners for the parade in July.
For more information, contact Chris Reed on 07775 712356 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sheppey Little Theatre
Built as a Sunday school in 1891 and used as such until the 1940s. Then a church hall until Sheppey Entertainments Association purchased it in the late 1960s and converted it into a fully functioning theatre. Last year Sheppey Little Theatre celebrated 40 years as a theatre.
Click here for Sheppey Little Theatre website